10 June 2021Back to Blog
How Headless Commerce Can Help Future-Proof Your Business
The eCommerce landscape is expanding in a big way. eCommerce was already on the rise, which was only accelerated by the events of 2020.
One thing that online retailers are quickly learning is that they need to continually be on their feet and prepared to adapt to changing consumer demand. One strategy which can help retailers remain flexible is the use of headless commerce.
What is Headless Commerce?
As a quick summary, headless commerce is the decoupling of the front-end from the backend of the eCommerce platform. This allows for the storage, management, and delivery of content without a front-end delivery layer.
A more traditional commerce solution can present issues when it comes to design and process. Changes require significantly more time including editing the database, code, and front-end platform.
Headless commerce allows online retailers to eliminate these constraints of a more traditional commerce platform set-up. Since the front-end is decoupled from the back, front-end developers can focus their time on creating a user experience that fits entirely with the purposes and goals of your business.
Drawbacks of Traditional Commerce
Let’s dive deeper into the drawbacks of traditional and monolithic approaches.
- Customisation limitations – On a traditional platform, any customisations that are made to the front end are likely to break the back end, and vise versa. With the front and back end being tightly coupled together, it is much more difficult to just make amends to one part.
- Not mobile-first – Being able to reach your customers across all channels and at every touch point is crucial to survive today’s eCommerce landscape. Traditional commerce is not a mobile-first solution which can damage the experience a user has with your brand.
- Time-consuming – It takes a lot more time for developers and other staff members to make any required changes to the code, database and platform in general.
- Design constraint – Retailers are more limited with design options when using more traditional commerce platform set-ups. They are more often restricted to the platform’s pre-defined designs.
Benefits of Headless eCommerce
Now we’ve established the drawbacks of a traditional commerce approach, let’s take a more detailed look at the value in an eCommerce headless CMS.
- Flexibility with customisation – There is much more flexibility in terms of the design and user experience functionalities in a headless commerce environment.
- Faster and easier integrations – A headless commerce approach means integrations are driven by API making them much speedier. CMS, CRM and ERPs are among the platforms that can quickly be integrated into any headless commerce platform set-up.
- Quick and easy front-end changes – Changes can easily be made to the front-end without affecting the backend. The process is therefore much simpler and often does not need a developer to complete the work.
5874 Commerce: eCommerce Experts
5874 Commerce are a team of eCommerce experts, highly experienced in setting up clients with a headless commerce experience. Carluccio’s came to 5874 Commerce looking for a “headless, business centric integration for a seamless user experience”.
In order to build a site that was a content-led eCommerce platform with full CMS control, the 5874 Commerce relaunched their website on WordPress with commerce powered by BigCommerce. A highly successful project resulting in a business centric site that focuses on creating a smooth user experience.
For more information on headless commerce or help with your next eCommerce project, give us a call on 0121 369 5874 or email email@example.com. Get ahead on your competitors and say goodbye to tradition.