02 September 2022Back to Blog
Lets Feed Brum Recieves Queens Award For Voluntary Service
Did you know that we are Let’s Feed Brum co-founders?
Let’s Feed Brum was founded in 2016 by a group of people (including two of our own 58 members). As the word spread more people who shared compassion for those on the streets engaged and Let’s Feed Brum was born.
Many volunteers go out of their way and put time into making genuine connections with these people by spending evenings with them and giving as much support as needed.
What Do Let’s Feed Brum Do?
Let’s Feed Brum is a homeless support foundation. Its aim is to support those living on the streets of Birmingham. Food poverty is a major part of what it does, but creating and building a secure community for Birmingham has also played a massive part in the Let’s Feed Brum journey.
Hundreds of volunteers help others by engaging with people who are stuck in a cycle that makes them feel disconnected from society. Let’s Feed Brum create a safe space for people to build trust and encourages them into accepting the help and advice that is required for their mental and physical wellbeing.
- Spend time engaging in conversations with people who are part of the community
- Tackle homelessness
- Provide people with the support that they need
- They always put people’s needs first. For example, offering supplies, support, or advice
- Provide food, drink, friendship, and supplies to anyone who is at risk of homelessness
- Keeping people safe is their main priority, which includes keeping information confidential too
- Offering temporary accommodations to people who are sleeping rough and need support.
- Volunteers are encouraged to truly get to know the people who are in need of Let’s Feed Brum’s support by listening to them and their stories in order to build trust
Let’s Feed Brum Receives Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service
Having achieved amazing success all over Birmingham, Lets Feed Brum has recently been honoured with the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service (QAVS). Basically the equivalent of winning an Oscar, but for charities. It just goes to show that this group’s dedication and hard work has truly paid off.
Co-Founder of Trustees at Let’s Feed Brum, Tara Tomes, commented on the award: “We are absolutely over the moon to have received the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, and I know it will mean the world to every single one of our amazing volunteers. Their dedication, compassion, humility, and kindness is truly humbling, and to have that recognised by this hugely prestigious award is a testament to each one of our amazing volunteers.”
Step up to the plate and help curb homelessness by donating or finding out more here