09 November 2022Back to Blog
Conscious Commerce 2.0 Is Here!
In 2020, 5874 Commerce undertook an extensive research project to assess the sustainable practices of 100 UK-operating online retailers for our Conscious Commerce whitepaper. Ordering 100 products from 100 different merchants provided great insight into how many businesses, up to that point, had been responding to the climate crisis.
Now, two years later, 5874 Commerce have revisited the same 100 merchants to complete the experiment once again and assess how much has changed given the Covid-19 pandemic and how businesses are moving forward in the face of environmental change. We analysed the efforts of large and small retailers, including the likes of Boots, SheIn, Dunelm and more.
- Where environmental efforts are communicated
- How different industries performed
- Packaging – quality, materials and recyclability
- What role did lockdown play in the need for sustainable packaging
- How can brands do better
To give you a sneak preview of what you can expect, here are some key findings from the data we collected.
- 47% of the 100 brands analysed had no mention of sustainability on their websites.
- Over half of the packaging used (60%) was recyclable.
- The cosmetics industry remained the top scorer for sustainability visibility (44% homepage, 48% product page and 64% in footer/header menu).
- The quality of packaging materials were medium (35%) low (33%) and high (32%).
Featuring insights from experts in the industry, including BigCommerce, Adyen, Dotdigital, Linnworks and many more, this whitepaper is more than just data collection. It includes valuable guidance into how businesses can be more sustainable moving forward, and what the future of the ecommerce industry looks like as retailers face being held accountable for their response to social and environmental issues.
Download your free copy today – we promise you won’t regret it.